Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sometimes you just get burnt out of blogging

I happens you know, the burnt out from writing. I was doing so much and then i took a week off. Whatever. Lets catch up:

Sunday Feb 10th:
Julie has some school work to do so I went to Buda. For those of you that don't know Budapest was two citys seperated by the Danube. Buda was the town for nobals and what not, Pest was for the working man. Obuda (old Buda) is somewhere behind Buda and has sort of been tacked on to it. For the longest time, you had to take a boat to get to the other city. How about a little history:

Széchenyi lánchíd or Széchenyi Chain Bridge is a suspension bridge that spans River Danube between Buda and Pest, the west and east side of Budapest. The first bridge across the Danube in Budapest, it was designed by the English engineer William Tierney Clark in 1839, after Count István Széchenyi's initiative in the same year, with construction supervised locally by Scottish engineer Adam Clark (no relation). It opened in 1849, thus became the first bridge in the Hungarian capital. At the time, its center span of 202 m was one of the largest in the world. The pairs of lions at each of the abutments were added in 1852. It is popular culture in Hungary to point out that the lions in fact have no tongues.

And julie has pointed it out to me about the toungues, and about how the guy who made the lions was so pissed because he thought they were perfect that when someone mentioned this no tongue thing to him he threw himself from the bridge.

Anyway, Buda is much better to look at than Pest so i went over their and just walked in the winding hilly streets and took pictures of stuff. After a while i went back over to where Julie's school is, sat by the Danube and ate an orange. I watched some trick bicycle guys land on things on just their back tire. When Julie was finished working we went shopping for food. This was the most difficult thing i have done since my arrival. I figured it couldn't be that hard, you know what food looks like you don't need to speak the language. No wrong. Way to many people and way to much food that didn't look quite right. Not the best time, but it was a learning experience. I love this mayo in a tube thing.

Monday Feb 11th:

Julie was in class and working most of this week, like you do when your getting your masters. So i went to a big ass cemetery. The Kerepesi Temeto (the kereps cemetery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerepes_cemetery Read up on it if your into it. Whatever. There are huge tombs here, and a Monument that says in Hungarian "I Died for Communisum" Um ya. Some of the first tomb were higher off the ground than the later stuff so the graves along the walls are at the most five feet off the ground. Very strange. And the grave yard is behind the largest shopping mall i have ever seen, Although Julie and I discussed it and she has seen Bigger. Then we watched this great film called "The lives of others" I slept through part of it (not because it wasn't good but because i just fall asleep all time), but what i saw of it was fanastic.

Tuesday Feb 12th:
I went to the Magyar Fotografusok Haza KHT ( the hungarian photographer museum) today. It was in this fanastic building. Not well organised through, since the plate under the photographs didn't have the name of the photographer on them. So i really don't know what i was looking at. http://www.maimano.hu/index_en.html I also went to the Arkad to hunt for yarn, and found a very little. Bad acrylic yarn. At this rate my yarn standards will drop fast. I met Julie and Heather for a drink and then Julie and I come home and ate in the cafe in the dorm. Dorm food it was been too long. Julie got some weird dessert that we really never figured out just what it was.

Wednesday Feb 13th:
I went on the great yarn hunt today. I ended up in three fabric stores with little selections of yarn. The last one had this fantastic woman who spoke great english and told me where a could find a knitting group.

Thursday Feb 14th:
Snow really? Suckers!
I finally went to the art museum. Nice museum full of Italian, Flemish, and Spanish masters, but no Hungarian Masters. That's because their isn't any. http://www.hung-art.hu/index-en.html Here is some hungarian art history. Eat it up. I am interested in what the Hungarians were doing in terms of art in their repressed setting. I am a dork. I know. We also ate mexican food. Well i had a burger. How weird is that, eating at a mexian resterant in hungary. They don't even have mexicans here. They don't know what mexican is.
Friday Feb 15th:

I had a yarn date with an american student from, get this, washington state. She is going to school in the states about two hours from the farm in leavenworth. Strange. So we went to a communist themed pizza place in Buda. I'm saying communist theme, too soon right. I guess not. Good pizza. Oh they serve the sauce on the side and chilled instead of on the pie. So this girl was a physics major and i knitter so we talked about physics, knitting, and washington. It was nice. Her hungarian was fantastic, i'm not sure how, so she could read me the menu and talk to the waiter. Then i popped in on Julie at the archive and tried to take a nap on a table like i was in high school again. I have been tired all the time, i think i'm not getting some important stay awake nutrient. I bet that nutrient is bacon. Um bacon. Sorry i'm hungary. So we went to the market, and then Heather's to make dinner for everyone. Really Julie cooked and I knitted and talked about sheep and cheese and how cool it is. Julie gets in zen when she chops veggies so she wasn't listening anyway. We all had dinner, and then went and saw the drag show. This was unlike any drag show you have ever seen. The American owner of the bar is a hermafidite (i spelled that wrong), so looks like a woman, sings like MeatLoaf, adn i do mean the overweight singer from the 90's. And i won't do that. But she would and she did, in fact she prerecored all this low-toned singing and then lipsyned to herself singing, in women's underwear. At first i thought it was she wasn't serious, it was like a farce. No mamn. Serious. Oh with a dancer in the back ground who was doing some type of intertive dance. If you remeber (or where around) for the crazy woman in Chapel Hill with the breathing noises and trip home full of bird calls, your getting close. I would rank that up there with that.
Satuday Feb 16th:
I have been doing this crap all day. And now the day is almost over, at least the sun is moving on the way down. I finished knitting the biggest floppy beret yesterday. Lord have mercy on my soul. Hot dogs it is.

No comments: